Local Grants will support projects across Region
January 17, 2017 Michael Gravelle, Minister of Northern Development and Mines and MPP for Thunder Bay-Superior North and Bill Mauro, Minister of Municipal Affairs and MPP for Thunder Bay Atikokan, announced that four local non-profit and charitable organizations will receive a total of $188,500 through the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
“Support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation means that local communities and non-profits can continue to deliver initiatives and services that make a real difference in the lives of people across the Northwest. I am pleased that our government continues to be a proud supporter of this important program.” Michael Gravelle, Minister of Northern Development and Mines, MPP Thunder BaySuperior North
Organizations receiving support include:
- Gichi Ozhibi’ige Ogaamic Administrative Offices to hire staff to establish a watershed management plan for the Treaty #3 region
- Thunder Bay Community Arts and Heritage Education Project to redevelop their “Artists in the 5th” program to better reflect community needs
- Municipality of Greenstone to identify gaps and support the development of their supportive housing initiatives
- Township of Nipigon to develop a Superior North Youth Arts and Culture Strategy
Ontario is investing in 93 non-profit initiatives that will help build healthy, vibrant communities across the province. This funding will help non-profit organizations deliver a broad range of projects that will have a positive impact on people’s lives. Investing in local communities is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
“I’m thrilled that the Ontario government continues to support our community through important investments that help us grow and better support our residents. This funding will help us develop solutions for supportive housing that will allow Greenstone residents to age gracefully and continue to live in our community.” Mark Wright, CAO Municipality of Greenstone
- The Ontario Trillium Foundation is an agency of the Government of Ontario and one of Canada’s largest granting foundations.
- The Ontario Trillium Foundation uses research to guide decision-making and relies on community-based volunteers across Ontario to review applications and guide granting decisions.
- In addition to its own granting investment strategy, the Ontario Trillium Foundation administers the Youth Opportunities Fund, the Local Poverty Reduction Fund and the onetime ON150 Community Capital Program on behalf of the Ontario Government.